We already know that playing soccer can help increase aerobic capacity and improve cardiovascular health, but what else can playing soccer every week do for you? Read below to find out:
- Teaches Coordination:Due to shifts between walking, running and sprinting, coordination is key to soccer. Body coordination is improved through the complex movements like dribbling, turning and passing, which are performed at varying rates of speed and direction. Hand-eye coordination is improved when players either kick the ball or receive a pass from someone. The better the coordination in a player, the greater their advantage in a match.
- Promotes Teamwork and Sharing:While fitness goals are generally very personal, we can all benefit from sharing common goals with others who push us towards them. The lessons that players learn on the field translate to the rest of their lives and the camaraderie teammates share is unparalleled. The ability to work with others to reach a common goal is powerful when related to everyday life—in other words, join a team!
- Increases Cognitive Brain Function: Soccer help sincrease skills in concentration, persistence and self-discipline because it is a fast-paced game that requires quick decisions on the field. Even when the tempo appears to slow down, players are constantly looking for territorial advantages, trying to position themselves to receive a pass or defend an area.
- Increases Confidence, Self-esteem and Helps to Reduce Anxiety: Building physical strength and endurance helps build confidence in a player both on and off the field. Confidence and self-esteem not only impact sports performance, but also performance in school, career, family life and friendships. Also, as with all forms of exercise, the feel-good endorphin released into the body after a match is a major stress and anxiety reducer. Several studies point to exercise as being a highly effective treatment for depression and anxiety.
- Anyone Can Play, Anywhere: Soccer is not an expensive or prohibitive sport. All you need is space and a ball!